Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mobile phone buyers scams

I recently tried to sell a mobile phone on ebay. It took me 4 attempts to sell it due to dodgy buyers.
First time, I received am email asking me to post the phone to Nigeria - this is despite me saying I would not post it abroad. Buyer offered extra 10 payment to send immediately to Nigeria.
I relisted the phone and the winning bid was from India, next time it was from the Netherlands. None of these buyers ever sent any money. One of the sent a counterfeit email from Paypal saying that money had been transfered into my Paypal account but when I checked my account there was nothng there.
Each of these buyers had several things in common that should be watched out for:
All were based abroad
All wanted phone posting immediately abroad
All were new members to ebay with zero rating
All made bids at very last moment so I could not cancel them

Tips for future sellers:
Block any buyers from abroad and with zero ratings
Always check your Paypal account to see that money has been received. It will show up on your statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment